Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Chorizo Garlic Pasta Recipe ala Petra and Pilar

Chorizo is the Spanish term for sausage.  It usually refers to several types of pork sausages.  One famous chorizo in the Philippines is the Chorizo de Bilbao.  While Bilbao may refer to a municipality in Spain many believe that Chorizo de Bilbao is actually a Filipino creation.  It is generally made with lots of Spanish Paprika which is probably the reason why some would refer to it as Spanish sausage.  It's garlicky taste adds a lot of flavor to any dish you mix it with.  

There's a very good Chorizo Bilbao with Garlic Pasta at Petra and Pilar at the JAKA Bldg. (Chino Roces) in Makati.  I often craved for this dish every time I'm in the area.  And then it dawned on me that I should just have made my own!  One order can set you back for around 350 pesos while you can buy a pack of Chorizo de Bilbao from the same restaurant for just around 100 pesos.  And that's exactly what I did.  Here's the recipe for Chorizo Garlic Spaghetti in White Sauce.  My own take on this delectable dish from Petra and Pilar.



Chorizo Garlic Pasta ala Petra and Pilar 
By: Chef $B
(2 servings)

Ingredients:

150 grams Spaghetti or your choice of pasta
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive oil
2-3 pieces Chorizo de Bilbao, diced (Petra and Pilar Chorizo de Bilbao)
Parmesan cheese, for topping

White Sauce (Bechamel sauce):  (or use All Purpose Cream)
1 Tablespoon Salted Butter (Anchor)
1 Tablespoon All purpose Flour
1 Cup Fresh Milk (Alaska Slim Fresh Milk)
2 cloves garlic, grated
Salt and Pepper

Method:
Step 1: Prepare ingredients
-       Mince garlic cloves and dice Chorizo de Bilbao (1 cm x 1cm cubes)
-       Prepare all other ingredients and set aside.

Step 2: Prepare Pasta
-       Cook pasta (spaghetti) a couple of minutes less than indicated in the package.  Boil in water with a little salt and oil.  Cook al dente.
 
Step 3: Cook Chorizo de Bilbao and Garlic
-       Heat olive oil in sauté pan (low heat).  Add minced garlic.  Let garlic flavor infuse with the oil (30 seconds).  Add diced Chorizo de Bilbao and cook until it releases its juices and is a little browned.  Try to avoid browning the garlic.  Remove from heat and set aside.
 
Step 4: Prepare White Sauce while cooking Chorizo de Bilbao
-       Skip this part if you're using All Purpose Cream. 
-   On low heat, add butter and grated garlic in a sauce pan.  Let sit for 30 seconds.  Add flour and stir continuously until flour absorbs all the butter (makes a roux).
-       Slowly add milk while continuously stirring to avoid lumps in the sauce. 
-       Continue stirring on low heat until sauce is of desired consistency (a little cream-like in thickness).
 
Step 4: Assembly
-       Strain white sauce into Chorizo de Bilbao mixture.  Mix in low heat.  Taste.  Adjust taste with salt and pepper as needed.  Toss drained pasta into mixture and a little parmesan cheese.  Transfer to serving plate, top with some of the Chorizo de Bilbao, some parmesan cheese, and drizzle a little olive oil on top.  Serve.



As Mark Bittman would put it, you can never have too much of garlic.  Add more cloves of garlic in the recipe if you want.  And remember that Parmesan cheese is a bit salty so take that into consideration when you are seasoning your sauce.  Better yet, mix the cheese with your sauce and use it as seasoning!

This is definitely one recipe I'd keep making for life!  It's simple yet very tasty!  Garlic and Chorizo de Bilbao rocks!




Chorizo Bilbao Garlic Spaghetti - Best shared with Friends!

13 comments:

  1. https://mightyfoodie.blogspot.com/2016/11/pasta-fresca-create-dream-recipes-to.html?showComment=1575733195931#c2834857452192371177

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep that is it exactly! This is the variation my kids came up with. It makes the oats a little more subdued, less crunchy and not the main attraction on the cookie. If you like the crunchier texture just add the oats and melt the chocolate chips and voila!mold removal toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone Sometimes with visits your blog regularly and recommended it in my experience to read as well. The way of writing is excellent and also the content is top-notch. Thanks for that insight you provide the readers! For more information go here

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful - and green and bright, perfect for midwinter. Roasted cauliflower is so tasty, it probably was even better than with the steamed version. And I love cauloflower with pasta. I'm going to have to try this one! Thanks!food Mixer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second bad habit: searching for healthy delicious food early after breakfast, lunch, dinner etc., as long as (or better: especially when ) I am at home. So I know I must be an emotional eater. These are my bad habits.meat grinder

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I want to make cake style doughnuts, I usually make them with biscuit dough. I learned to love these because my mom made them when I was a child.espiralizador

    ReplyDelete
  7. These little packets look so easy to make. My kids love bbq chicken so these will be a hit. I am going to make them this weekend on the grill.Kaju Curry recipe

    ReplyDelete

  8. Finding professionals is easy with Organic Providers. Search our website to instantly connect with business and professionals. For professionals, our website works as a powerful tool for attracting more clients.Organic products

    ReplyDelete


  9. When I want to make cake style doughnuts, I usually make them with biscuit dough. I learned to love these because my mom made them when I was a child.Healthy Food

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why you would like this so much – it sounds wonderful. I would definitely add protein to this, simply because I can’t survive on high carb/low protein meals. I’m looking forward to trying it.homemade pizza dough

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delicious. I want to try making this for this blog https://bubbies.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amidst the celebration of diversity, issues of access and sustainability loom large in the realm of food. Disparities in food availability and quality persist globally, highlighting the need for equitable distribution and ethical practices. Climate change threatens agricultural landscapes and food security, urging a shift towards more sustainable farming practices and mindful consumption.Las Casuelas Nuevas

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...